Saturday, November 19, 2011

What is your opinion of Ina Garten?

I don't understand why some people can't stand her on the food network. She's innovative and interesting. I can actually sit through an entire barefoot contessa episode.|||She's great. She's real, and genuine. Did you know that she and Martha Stewart actually started the Barefoot Contessa WAYYYYYYYYYY back when?? Ina bought out Martha's interest in the business (Martha went on to Martha Stewart Omnimedia), then Ina sold BC in the early 80's to her (then) employees. She, however, maintains the copyright name, BAREFOOT CONTESSA. Her husband is pretty cool, too, and actually has the time to be in some of her shows. He's the dean of the Mechanical Engineering School at Yale......hence his "coming home on weekends", as they live at the end of Long Island (in the Hampton's).........which is 3-4 hours from Manhattan.....





A bit a mess in the kitchen, she is thorough, explains each step, WHY each step is done in sequence, etc. She can take an intimidating dish and make it more comfortable with the novice cook......And I guess being around that many gay men (I mean, look at her shows, they're all gay men!!!) makes her husband know that she's as safe as if in God's hip pocket......|||she cooks good but is kinda boring|||In my opinion, she's very GOOD! Although I haven't seen her Bio and culinary background experience, she cooks and talks the talk, she has classic techniques with fresh nuances, has a thorough knowledge of baking and pastries, she measures everything (full proof, wish I did more of that) and yes, her show is a bit dry at times but her dishes always sound and look wonderful ,she stays in the medium of the cooking process, which is to say, she cooks fancy, but simply, I like that about her and her show. I love that she cooks for friends, family and loved ones with true passion, she always thinks of what they would like! Finally, I like that she's a real person, not some mock up of a size zero cook who has been trained to read a cue card and use a knife. I do think, however, that her dining decor is a little over the top for the average "joe" on some occasions, but then again, that's never been my forte. 1-10, I'd give her an 8...............I do like her shows!|||Ohh I love her cookings. I don't think she is boring at all. I can actually follow her as she cooks. Did you know she used to work for the government before she left her job and followed her dream of becoming a chef? But I digress, shes very entertaining as she is talking about the ingredients she uses and how she is cooking. LOVE IT !!|||Ina Garten is my absolutely favorite to watch on the television. She seems to have some class and isn't looking to please the crowds. I appreciate that she's not over-exposed, over-animated, over-talkative, over-confident. She is quietly confident and quite talented given that she has not real training. She's interesting, her guests are interesting, and her cookbooks are delightful! My next favorite to watch is actually Guy Fieri on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. One of his restaurants, Tex Wasabi, is in my hometown and he's critiqued several "joints" here. Like his energy and enthusiasm! After that, its Michael Chiarello, Jaime Oliver, and Tyler Florence. If I never saw or heard Rachel Ray again it would be too soon! :)|||It's so weird that you would asks this the day after my husband and I had this discussion. I love the food network and she is one of my favorites (absolute fave is Alton Brown) and usually my hubby will watch with me and encourage my new found hobby (I'm just learning to cook), but he just hates Ina. I really enjoy her show, she is cute and knowledgeable and all of her recipes look oh so good and even attainable, although I think I'm kidding myself at this stage of my cooking tutelage.


I didn't understand it so I finally asked him to elaborate; he said it was because she seemed fake and too disingenuous...which I can respect, to a point. She's paid to be entertaining and I'm sure she's not "on" 24/7 so maybe she has to force it at times, but I will still continue to watch her because even if that were true, it doesn't detract from the awesomeness of her recipes.|||Ina Garten is a serious cook and she is passionate about her cooking not just all show and blah blah blah like so many of the others, who do more talking and theatrics then cooking and their recipes just seeemed to be kind of hap hazard and not really taste appealing or suitable for true family fare I have to admit at first her personality seemed a bit cool and stand- offish.. but after watching her shows off and on I now watch her whenever she comes on She has some very good recipes and ideas that we can actually eat and that is what counts Ina ,Paula,and Giada are all very good to excellent and are the top three. All 3 of these ladies cook with passion and their secret ingredient is love.. they put love in to their cooking and cook for family and friends they are so very happy to have family and friends gathered around enjoying their lovingly prepared meals Every meal is very special.. I sometimes watch Sandra Lee she is just so interesting the way she whips up things so fast and it always looks so good|||You guys should check out www.foodnetworkhumor.com for news and humor about Ina. The whole site is funny but they really have some hysterical pictures of her - and the "10 commandments of ina garten"

No comments:

Post a Comment